- This event has passed.
Got a story you’d like to develop for the big screen? Or a TV pilot that’s ready for fine-tuning?
“It’s so hard to write a screenplay in isolation,” says instructor Kate Montgomery. “You’re writing for an audience, after all, and for an industry that’s highly collaborative. Your end goal is to be part of a creative community. So why not begin that now? Whether you’re writing your very first script, or rewriting your tenth, we all face similar challenges, so a workshop is an ideal way to come together."
In this lively, interactive class, through short lectures, discussions, writing exercises, and “table reads", you’ll improve each major component of your script, starting with the largest (story) and moving to the smallest (words). In this class, you'll specifically learn how to:
- Elevate the beats, scenes and sequences of your story
- Draw your audience in with layered, unpredictable characters
- Make any film more riveting and any TV series “binge-worthy”
- Craft meaningful action that’s visually powerful
- Take your dialogue to the next level
- Wordsmith your script for a better overall read
- Copyright your story before you even write the screenplay
- Identify and pitch the pros who can help you get your work produced
"To know what’s working and what isn’t, there’s nothing more helpful than quality feedback from those who know the process," says Kate. This session includes an individual story consult with the instructor, and you’ll be paired with fellow screenwriters on a round-robin basis between each class to share work and offer feedback.
This class will meet online every two weeks over ten weeks.
About The Writing Salon's Remote Classes
You will be able to participate in live class meetings via Zoom videoconference. To attend classes, you'll need a phone, tablet or computer and access to the internet. You can participate in the class from wherever you'd like, whether on your living room couch or in your office. Before your class meets, you'll receive an email from The Writing Salon with more information about Zoom and your remote class. If you have any questions about remote learning, please don't hesitate to reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Live Zoom Meeting: Saturday, June 25, 2:00pm-4:00pm
- Live Zoom Meeting: Saturday, July 09, 2:00pm-4:00pm
- Live Zoom Meeting: Saturday, July 23, 2:00pm-4:00pm
- Live Zoom Meeting: Saturday, August 06, 2:00pm-4:00pm
- Live Zoom Meeting: Saturday, August 20, 2:00pm-4:00pm
Kate Montgomery’s screenwriting class was chock-full of valuable content! Thank you for offering such a professional class. Kate’s virtual classroom is an alive and welcoming place to learn.