How much do your classes cost?
- Our classes range in cost depending on the length of the class. Currently, the range is from $95 to $395. The cost of each class is shown at the top of each individual course description.
I see that you have a discounted member rate. How do I become a member?
- For a one-time fee of $50, you can become a lifetime member of the Writing Salon, which entitles you to pay the discounted rate forever. Simply add the membership to your shopping cart, then select the “Member” payment option for each class you choose. You can CLICK HERE to do it now, if you like! NOTE: Sorry, but memberships that were bought prior to January 2009 expired after one year. The lifetime membership offer did not begin until Jan. 2009.
- If you don’t want to become a member, select the “Non-Member” payment option.
How do I register/pay for for a class?
- 1. ONLINE: Every course description has an “Add to Cart” button. Click that button to add your course selection to the Shopping Cart, then follow the checkout instructions. We accept Visa, MasterCard and PayPal. Our site is secure.
- 2. MAIL: Make checks payable to: The Writing Salon. and send to our mailing address: 601 Anderson St., SF, CA 94110. Please do not mail payments to the classroom address. Include: 1) the name of the class (and whether you are buying a membership), 2) your name, 3) your email address, 4) your phone number.
What if I know that I’ll have to miss one or more classes? Is that allowed? And can I pay only for the classes that I attend, or attend the classes that I missed at some later date?
- You are welcome to attend or not attend as many classes as you wish. We understand that people have busy lives, and may have to miss a class or two. Our teachers are prepared for fluctuating attendance. You can ask your teacher and/or fellow classmates to fill you in and/or give you whatever handouts or assignments you missed.
- However, when you miss a class, you miss it. We do not pro-rate the cost, nor do we offer makeup classes.
Can I pay for the class in installments?
Do you offer scholarships, financial aid, or sliding scale rates?
- No. Colleges, universities and non-profit organizations have access to grants and/or private benefactors, which allows them to offer financial aid. The Writing Salon is a small business, and like many other small businesses, especially arts-related businesses, we run on a shoestring budget. However, we sometimes do trades (ie. you can earn credit toward a class in exchange for helping us to distribute flyers around the Bay Area).
Do you have a refund policy?
- Yes. You can read it HERE. Please read it before signing up for a class, and if you have any concerns or questions about it, call us to get clarification BEFORE you sign up for the class.
What is your registration deadline?
- Registration for each class continues either until the class is full or, if it is not full, up to the day before the second class.
Can I just show up at the first class with a check or cash?
- No. We must know how many people are signed up, ahead of time because: 1) We need to know if we have enough people to hold the class (six), and 2) We need to know that we have not gone over our our maximum enrollment limit (13).
Can I call ahead of time and arrange to sit in on the first class before deciding if I want to take it?
- Sorry but that’s not possible. We have limited space, which is reserved for paying students. We do, however, offer course descriptions that are more detailed than the short generic blurbs you see in most writing course catalogs. You are also welcome to call and talk to Jane if you have specific questions or concerns that aren’t answered by the course description, and if she can’t answer your question, she’ll put you in touch with the teacher.
How do I know if a class is still available?
- The course description will tell you if the class is no longer available; it will say: Attention: “This class is now CLOSED” in bold red letters. In addition, the registration system will now allow your registration to go through.
If a class is full, can I get on a waiting list in case a space opens up?
- Yes. Send an email to email@example.com and ask to be put on the list for the class you want. Include your phone number, in case a space becomes available at the last minute.